Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Growing Challenge

*
*
Time has flown by this week. I've been busy with the every day hum drum things, putting together items for my Bonanzle booth, and making plans for this year's garden.
*
I'm still looking into fruit trees. I'm drifting toward the dwarf variety as they are short enough for me to pick and their (advertised) fruit is the same size as those grown on regular size trees. If this is not so, or if you prefer one over the other, I'd really like to hear about it.
*
Looking through the catalogs I find the 5 on 1 dwarf fruit trees. I don't know of anyone who has planted this type of tree and wonder if it works. It would take up less space and are self-pollinating.
*
My first tree is going to be apple and the 5 on 1 would give me Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Dark Red Jonathan, Yates and Winesap. I have no idea what Yates and Winesap are like as I've never had either one. Are you familiar with this type of tree? I would appreciate your input!
*
If that works it means I could get the 5 on 1 Dwarf Pear Tree which would give me Bartlett, Kieffer, Moonglow, Orient and Ayres.
*
Then the plum tree. And guess what..............there's a Dwarf Fruit Cocktail Tree. This tree would have nectarines, peaches, plums, and apricots. This is getting exciting!
*
So today I am looking for your expertise! Anything you would like to share would be so appreicated! Fruit trees are outside my experience and knowledge. If this works out my family will never have to buy fruit again! What a blessing that would be!!
*
By the way, do dogs eat fruit??? (lol)
*
*
xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comment on the post.

I have several fruit trees and have a definite preference for the small ones. Much, much easier to take care of and they really do produce well. The trees with different varieties also work well. I've had really good luck with a couple apple trees that were done that way. I have a pear that has 5 varieties. It's still too new to produce much, but I'm hoping....