Thursday, July 17, 2008


The strange thing about yesterday is that I had no clue that I was in trouble. I was just out cutting grass away from the air conditioner and the junk growing along the back of the house all of which takes very little energy and time.

When I mow I know when I am starting to have problems so I stop. I only mow a small portion at a time per day. It takes a lot of energy to mow the back because it is on a slight down cline and the ground is not flat.

My dr. told me the ozone was yellow (which I didn't know) and it was in the 90's (which I didn't know cause it didn't feel hot to me :). And under no circumstances was I to do anything in the yard again. Period.

The ER dr. told us they were having a lot of people coming in with heat exhaustion.

I'm sure they were like me, totally unaware until someone intervened.

I had to laugh at myself on the way home from the ER. Just the day before I was taking all these bits of info I have and putting it on the computer so I could find it easily. One of those was for "heat exhaustion".

It's still hard for me to grasp all of this. It's harder still not going out and finishing what I started. But I promised I wouldn't so I won't.

God bless, my friends, and keep an eye on your loved ones as they work in this heat.


Denise said...

Gosh... so glad you are doing better after your trip to the ER. I worked out in the yard this evening and then took a bike ride to cool off. It felt so good. I'm not done either but I guess I'll have to finish mine... :( Oh well it will look good when I get it done. Take care of yourself & stay inside for awhile. Or come down here for a visit & you can help us move your mom!!! :)

Mema said...

How did you know to go to ER? Did you pass out? I need to know what to look for.

I am glad that you are alright now. Take care.

Darlene said...

Mema....I didn't know. I wasn't doing anything really strenuous but I was sweating so much I had come into the house a couple of times to get it out of my eyes.

The last time I came in I called Jackie and we had a conversation, I don't remember calling her nor the conversation.

She called Charlie, got my Dr's number, made an appointment, and drove over and took me.

The Dr. sent me to the ER immediately.

I still have no idea why I called Jackie :)

I'm totally exhausted still and not doing much but taking naps.

Jackie said I was confused and that's how she knew something was wrong.

Darlene said...

Oh, yeah, a riding lawn mower would solve my problem, that's for sure:)

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm so glad you're okay Darlene. I've heard of this happening before...and it's not always very easily detected. Confusion is one part of it...and dehydration is another....that's part of the sweating. I imagine it happens to a lot of people before they realize it. It was pretty hot and humid out this weekend here too. Glad your friend was alert and knew what to do.

Nancie said...

Thank God for preserving you, Darlene. Thanks for all your prayers and encouragements. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I thank God upon every remembrance of you. Take care and have a blessed week!